Regardless of the season, California makes a wonderful destination. It is overflowing with wonderful attractions that can satisfy even the pickiest kids and child-at-heart, adventurers and nature lovers. It is a destination where you can find all these noteworthy finds – Disneyland, Disneyland Resort, Disney California Adventure, Legoland California Resort, Universal Studios in Hollywood, SeaWorld San Diego, as well as Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, etc.
If there is something that can make your visit to this state more exciting, visit California in the fall when the reddish and golden hues of the leaves can give the state a magical touch. With the tourist crowds and the gloomy fog gone, the Golden State is a glorious destination in the fall. If you are a gourmand, the season’s highlight doesn’t only happen in the changing foliage, but in the buffet tables as well.
Being the harvest season, fall is a wondrous time to celebrate the reaping of apples, pumpkins, nuts, and grapes. There are dozens of food festivals in California dedicated to these fruits, vegetables and other foodstuffs. See California says “California has an astounding record in the world of food production. And it is only fitting that the state that feeds the nation and portions of the world should celebrate food and wine, that grows so abundantly here. Throughout the year there are hundreds (if not thousands) of food and wine celebrations in the Golden State, and the popularity of these events only seems to grow.”
Pick the one that best meets your cravings and go for it. If you feel overwhelmed with all these possibilities or if you love wine, check out what Abby Tegnelia of the The Huff Post Travel offers in The 3 Tastiest Food And Wine Festivals This Fall. “Thanks to the weather gods, the temperatures are still warm out west, making California the perfect spot for the yummiest food and wine tasting events this fall. Sunny skies, yummy local wines, celebrity chefs — there are an embarrassment of riches to choose from for the ultimate foodie California getaway. But we scouted three favorites for the top of your list: The Napa Valley Film Festival, Newport Beach Wine & Food Festival, and Pismo Beach’s Bubblyfest by the Sea…”
The Napa Valley Film Festival — Napa Valley, Calif.
- The Event: The festival is a five-day event. It includes northern California’s four famous wine towns – Napa, St. Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga. The filmmakers present their movies in the different participating towns and villages. The audiences can watch as many movies/screenings as they want while partaking of the various sumptuous food and wine in these villages.
- It is like a party! Between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m., there is a traditional break. The merrymakers can pay a visit to the wine tents and pavilions for wine tasting in the participating villages, which are all within walk-able distances. .
Newport Beach Wine & Food Festival — Newport Beach, Calif.
- The event: This food festival in the charming Newport Beach is a celebration of fine wines and beer, along with the local cuisine.
- The highlights of the charity: During the festival, there will be dinners in selected restaurants to be prepared by top chefs such as Hubert Keller and Rick Moonen, while the wines are served by Thomas Price and Michael Jordan. Many celebrities come because all proceeds go to the coffers of the charity partners. Newport Beach Wine & Food Festival is not only “star-studded,” it is also activity-studded. There are live cooking demonstrations and food tastings in over 40 restaurants in the area.
Bubblyfest by the Sea — Pismo Beach, Calif.
- The bubbly festival: No other wine festival can be as bubbly as Bubblyfest by the Sea in Pismo Beach on the Central Coast north of Santa Barbara, because it is the only champagne/sparkling wine event in the United States. The event is marked by the popping of over 50 champagnes and sparkling wines from the wineries.
- Beyond the sparkling wine and champagne: The wines bubbling in the almost appropriate flute will be served by top sommeliers with the Pacific Ocean as a backdrop. There will be several events during the festival; the most notable ones are the Gatsby-inspired Cocktails & Corks party, the Bubbly at Sunset: Sparkling Wine Dinner, and the Grand Tasting.
If this list falls short of your expectations because you want a long one, check out 18 Great California Fall Trips by Thomas J. Story of Sunset.com. Story says fall is “a perfect time to explore the coast towns, tasting rooms, foodie havens, and natural wonders.” Being the national leader in food festivals, there is a cornucopia of food, California wine and beer right here.