Qatar takes the limelight when it outbid bigger nations as the next host of the 2022 World Cup tournament. It is a small nation in the Middle East that borders Saudi Arabia and Persian Gulf. Its capital city is Doha.
Doha is an international center being headquarters of foremost oil and gas corporations in Qatar. It is home to world-class museums housing some of the world’s best art collections and some of the most spectacular modern and ancient cultural landmarks.
With the forthcoming 2022 World Cup tournament, the renovation of the existing sport facilities and the construction of new ones are in the pipeline. These are intended to temper the sizzling temperatures and humidity and the sandstorms, particularly during summers. If you are joining the soccer-crazed crowd, Doha, Qatar offers plenty of reasons to have an enjoyable stay in the city.
What to Do in Qatar
Here are the Top 10 Things to Do in Doha according to Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG):
- Discover the Heritage and Culture of Doha
Attraction Highlights: Al Wakra, Al Wajba Fort, Al-Jassasiya, Al-Zubarah town, Al-Wsel, Barzan towers, Katara Cultural Village
Attraction Highlights: City Center Doha, Villagio Mall, Souq Waqif, Gold Souq, Landmark Mall, Exclusive Boutique on the Pearl Doha
- Delve into Arts, Culture and Religion
Attraction Highlights: Grand Mosque, Museum of Islamic Arts, Mathaf Arab Museum of Modern Art, Qatar National Museum and Aquarium, Islamic Culture Center.
- Walk or Cruise the Corniche
Attraction Highlights: Doha Corniche, Dhow/Yacht Cruise, Watch the Sunset on a Dhow.
- The Home of Jazz in the Middle East – Jazz at Lincoln Center Doha
Attraction Highlights: Jazz at Lincoln Center Doha, Restaurants and Bars in Doha.
What’s a holiday or a stopover in Qatar without embarking on a Desert Safari? The attraction highlights include Desert Safari, Singing Sand Dunes, and Dunes and Wadi Bashing. If you love sports, you can’t miss Camel Racing at Al Shahaniya racetrack, Fishing, WaterSports, Blokarting, Doha Beaches, Golfing, Football, and Aspire Zone. At the end of the day, experience the “Nightlife in Doha” at The Pearl Qatar, savor cuisines in the city restaurants and a drink or two at the bars in Doha. Don’t fail to visit Al Maha Sanctuary, home to the Qatar’s iconic symbol Arabian Oryx, and endangered desert deer. Finally, if you want to see what’s is there to expect from “Future Qatar,” visit Lusail City, Aspire Zone or Doha Sports City and Education City.
Where To Go
Before getting lost in the city jungle of Doha – Goliath-like structures, opulent resorts, massive malls and exotic skyline – check out the best places to visit. You may want to consider the Top 10 best tourist places in Qatar recommended by We Find You Go:
- The Museum of Islamic Art, Doha: This museum houses the finest Muslim arts of Qatar as well as Persia, Arab nations and Africa The structure is itself a perfect example of a modern architecture.
- The Corniche, Doha: It is a curved boulevard by the seaside with lush greenery on the other side. Go for a stroll for a relaxing exercise, get a breathtaking view of the oyster by the Corniche side or visit nearby attractions, such as the Museum of Islamic Art and the symbol of present Doha.
- Al- Zubarah, Northwest of Qatar: Do you want to go back in time and see the Al ancient of Qatar? Then take a trip to Al- Zubarah, which is about and 107 miles away from Doha. The coral styled houses made of mortar, mud and traditional limestone are among the interesting features.
- Qatar National Museum, Doha: The architecture of this structure showcases the architectural skill of the Qatari architects. It looks more like a fort than a museum or palace.
- Al Wakra Museum, Al Wakra: This historic town is home to several museums, Mosques, a marina and beaches, making it a perfect destination for a holiday.
The rest of the list includes:
- Al Jassasiya Carvings in Al- Ruwais is a little fishing village known for its seaside swarming and its opulent collection of petrogylphs.
- Desert Safari, Doha is where you can get to experience riding a camel or exploring the desert on a four-wheel vehicle.
- Kassem Darwish Fakhroo Islamic, Doha is a spiral-shaped building located in the downtown of the city that can dazzle spectators. It is intended as a venue for Islamic shows.
- The Golden Mosque, Doha is a minaret traditional mosque that is made spectacular by its lavish gilded tiles emphasizing Qatar’s wealth and opulence.
- Katara Mosque, Doha: What it doesn’t have in size is compensated in its magnificence exuded by the one-of-a-kind patterned tiles, which are “… the remainder of the Iranians and the gulf region, mostly the Shi’ite tiles.”
Where Else to Go
There are other destinations that are worthy of your time. Check out Natalie Avon’s recommended 5 Destinations to Explore in Qatar posted in CNN. Aside from the Corniche, Avon suggests Souq Waqif for a unique shopping experience; Al-Khor for a memorable fish market and beach experience; Bir Zekreet for a beach or camping holiday near a wild deer reserve; and Khor al-Adaid or the Inland Sea for an overnight camping in the desert, riding camels or sand skiing.
If all these make Doha, Qatar sound like one fun holiday destination, it is because it is! You don’t need to wait for six more years; go there even before the soccer-crazed fanatics invade the city in 2022.