Beverly Hills is located in Los Angeles, California, United States of America, and is the playground of the rich and famous.
Some very deep-pocketed Californians have lived in Beverly Hills over the years, and many extravagant homes, hotels and buildings can be found here.
If you want to hang out with the celebrities, Beverly Hills is the perfect place for you. You may be lucky enough to watch your favorite stars roaming around, shopping and dining at a luxurious restaurant or in their favorite bar.
Beverly Hills’ Past
Well before Beverly Hills gained a reputation for ostentatious lifestyles, it had a less glamorous beginning.
Let’s get to know more about its past.
Beverly Hills was once called Rancho Rodeo de las Aguas by its owner, Maria Rita Quinteros de Valdez and her husband in 1828. Maria Rita sold the ranch to Benjamin Davis Wilson and Henry Hancock, who then divided the land into parcels. Most of the land was then bought by Henry Hammel and Andrew H. Denker.
The area became known as the Hammel and Denker Ranch, and lima beans were planted.
The founder of Amalgamated Oil Company bought the Hammel and Decker Ranch in 1900 but failed to find oil in the area so they decided to develop the place into a town.
The development was named “Beverly Hills”, and the first house was built in 1907. The first stars to move into the city were Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford in 1921.
From that time, more famous residents bought land and built fabulous mansions, a trend that has continued.
Things to Do in Beverly Hills that are FREE
In a City where your credit card can be called on to perform at its optimum, there are nevertheless some free things to do in Beverly Hills, and the following represent just a few of the 50 options listed:
- Watch the Electric Fountain at the corner of Santa Monica and Wilshire Boulevards come alive at night with rainbow colored light and water patterns.
- Walk the red carpet at the entrance of The Beverly Hills Hotel, and feel just like a celebrity.
- Marvel in the winter wonderland of Beverly Hills during the holiday season from early November. The Rodeo Drive strip is full of holiday cheer, with many festive events as well as stunning décor.
- Walk into a quiet residential neighborhood just past the Beverly Gardens, and stumble upon a real life Witch’s House! This whimsical cottage was built on a studio lot for a film and later transported to its current location. The cottage is now used as a private home.
- See the state-of-the-art Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. This is a community arts center which opened in 2013.
- Take a stroll or jog down 11 blocks of Beverly Gardens Park.
- Relax in the sunshine and in the sounds of the courtyard’s babbling fountain as you sit back on the grass or at café tables, in Beverly Canon Gardens.
- Make your way to the “Valhalla for cheese lovers”. Anybody who loves cheese must visit The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills.
- Check out Beverly Hills’ gourmet candy shop, Sugarfina, and indulge in samples of delicious candy at theTasting Bar.
- Groove to the sounds of a wide range of live music during the summertime concerts on held at the Beverly Canon Gardens.
Rodeo Drive: A Must Visit in Beverly Hills
The main attraction of the city. The tour buses usually drop and pick everyone here. A place of the most famous shopping and fashion houses such as Armani, Versace, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermès, Burberry, Juicy Couture, Lacoste, and Prada. Two Rodeo looks like a small village of luxury shops.
During the Christmas season, you’ll discover that Rodeo Drive is beautifully decorated, with chandeliers performing as street lights.
Hot and Warm in 90210
You will experience hot and warm weather in Beverly Hills, depending on the time of year.
During winter, the weather varies from mild to moderate with occasional rain. In summer, you will experience little wind and warm to too hot temperatures.
Does the term “90210” ring a bell? Maybe you have watched the American TV series “Beverly Hills, 90210” that first aired in 1990. Beverly Hills is referred to as 90210 due to its zip code.
With so many things to do in Beverly Hills, you’ll find it easy to fall in love with this city.
The combination of shopping and fashion centers, beautiful restaurants and bars, great weather and the possibility of catching up with celebrities will ensure a remarkable visit.