Paris is Paris; it is one destination that is in every traveler’s bucket list. Yet, if it is summer, even the native Parisians travel and go someplace else to have fun in the beach. Paris is changing this with its Paris Plage (Beach) 2015.
If you are spending the summer in Paris and you can’t afford to move to another beautiful European destinations with beaches, Paris Plage 2015 will fill your desire for both. There is much to be gleaned from this news shared by Cecilia Rodriguez through her Forbes Life post Heading To Paris? The Beaches Are Ready So Bring Your Swimsuit. She opens the news with a welcoming:
“The sand is poured, umbrellas lined up and the boats are floating on the water. Paris is now ready for the opening of the ephemeral seaside resort known as Paris Plages (Beaches).”
This means that those Parisians who decided to stay for summer/August 2015 will have Riviera brought to them by the City Hall. Similarly, those who are opting for a Paris kind of summer from the different parts of the world will not miss the beach with Paris Plage.
How is ‘Riviera’ being brought to Paris?
According to Rodriguez, “Multiple tons of sand have been spread along the banks of the Seine River to create temporary artificial beaches.”
“And then there are the beaches by the Seine, with music, programs for the kids, food, drinks, volleyball, pedal boats, electric boats, sailboats, row boats and a festive ambience that lasts from 9 am to midnight every day for a month.”
This year’s Paris Plage will start from July 20 to August 18. The man-made beaches will occupy “the Seine on the Voie Georges Pompidou, the steps of City Hall in the city’s center and in the northeastern Basin de la Villete in the 19th arrondissement.”
What else do you need to know about Paris Plage 2015?
There is a page in the site The Parisianist, which is dedicated to Paris Plage for those who need more information about the event, such as
WHAT TO KNOW
- For beach activities, go to the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville
- For water activities, go to the Bassin de la Villette
- Food and drink stands are available all throughout the Paris Plage area (3.5km)
- Walking, skating or cycling in the Paris Plage area is really enjoyable
WHERE TO GO TO ENJOY PARIS AT THE BEACH
There are essentially 3 areas to enjoy Paris Plage:
- The main area is a 3.5km (2.30miles) strip on the right banks of the Seine River, between the Pont Neuf and Pont de Sully bridges. Some parts are covered in sand, where people can relax and sunbathe.
- On the large square facing Hôtel de Ville (City Hall), right next to the banks of the Seine is where most of the beach activities take place.
- The Bassin de la Villette, in the north of Paris, is where you will find all the water activities.
Paris Plage, and particularly the activities on the man-made beach along the famed Seine River are giving locals and visitors am opportunity to discover Paris in a different light. Imagine this space now covered in white sand to mimic the beautiful and coveted beaches in the tropics or the other parts of Europe.
Enjoy a great summer in Paris and its laid-back ambiance. Now you can have Paris and the beach too!