Hong Kong has prospered for over 150 years as a gateway to the East. It is more than just a big, flourishing city filled with skyscrapers with a harbor view skyline. It is not just a shopper’s paradise. This vibrant and vivacious cosmopolis is a melting pot of cultures. The fragment of the British rule is still tangible. Along with Chinese tradition and technical advancements of the 21st century, this city has emerged to be a unique city destination.
All these and its economic progress make Hong Kong amongst the powerful global players being one of the most expensive, progressive and elegant cities in the world. The proof is reflected in its tourism. As it rose among the top destinations of the world, the number of international tourists visiting the city has rapidly grown. Recent statistics show that it was 23.8 million in 2012; it has ballooned to 54.3 in 2013 and 60.8 in 2014.
Hong Kong is tourist-friendly. The local transport is convenient, the street signs are bilingual and English is widely spoken around the city. There are numerous attractions and the cuisine is gastronomic. CNN’s “The World’s Greatest City: 50 Reasons Why Hong Kong is No. 1” came up with 50 reasons why Hong Kong makes a top city destination among travelers. China Highlights lists down the Top Reasons to Visit Hong Kong, which are:
- Cultural Kaleidoscope: Hong Kong is a sophisticated fusion of the east and the west. It is, after all a melting pot of inimitable Chinese cultures – Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, Hakka, and Fujian) – as well as British cultures.
- Shopping Paradise: A famed shoppers’ paradise, Hong Kong offers a unique shopping experience. Hong Kong and shopping; the two are inseparable and this is visible wherever you go in Hong Kong. It has bustling street markets and world-class shopping malls.
- International Cuisine: Renowned as the culinary capital of Asia, Hong Kong is a world of exquisite, mouth-watering international dining options. Any foodie would have a blast with its wide assortment of fares from the popular local dim sum to authentic Asian and western gastronomies. Don’t miss out on the local eating landmarks, such as Anthony Bourdain (Under Bridge Spicy Crab). For a taste of old-school dim sum, head to Luk Yu Tea House at 24 Stanley Street.
- Colorful Nightlife: Don’t miss the fun at night in Hong Kong. You will find the place that fits your interests. A hectic day can be wonderfully capped by a sophisticated cocktail sip at top-secret picks – Boujis, Japanese-fave Butler, Honi Honi tiki bar, and the speakeasy 001. For bar/pub crawling the best ones are in East Tsim Sha Tsui, Wan Chai and Lan Kwai Fong. There are numerous options, but the Symphony of Lights and Victoria Harbour are landmarks you mustn’t miss.
- Perfect Family Destination: Hong Kong is a perfect destination for family tours, with parks, temples, museums, and natural reserves. Remember, there is Disneyland here, a surefire fun destination for families. For a unique experience, treat your kids to a tram ride all the way up the Victoria Park or a boat ride at a fishing village.
- Numerous Festivals and Fairs: There are many festivals throughout the year. Hong Kong, after all, is a melting pot of cultures where east meets west. This means anytime you go there, you’re bound to have a chance to immerse and enjoy a cultural experience – feasts, carnivals, lion and dragon dances, parades, etc.
- Convenient Transportation: Hong Kong boasts an excellent transportation network. Having the reputation as among the progressive cities of the world, one convenience that works for its visitors is the state of the art transportation systems in Hong Kong. This makes getting around easy.
- Gateway for Exploring the Rest of Asia: Hong Kong’s location made it the main gateway to China as well as much of East Asia. Thus, its international flights and airports are at par with the world’s bests. The fares are very competitive too.
Hong Kong is certainly one of the big things in Asia. It is a leading destination both for travel and business. The best thing is, it is also a safe destination, making it a wonderful retreat for anyone eager to taste the eastern culture in a luxurious setting.