There are many reasons why a blushing bride and her dashing groom would rather opt for a destination wedding. Not only will it offer them the opportunity to have an intimate and romantic wedding moon (coined term for wedding-cum-honeymoon) in an exotic destination of their choice, it can also save them from a huge expense of a traditional wedding.
Not that a destination wedding is cheap, but with a broad range of options available to couples these days, they can always adjust their plans and arrangements based on their budget.
If you are still wondering if it would make a good decision, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) offers these advices for “Destination Weddings” published in TravelSense –Destination Articles Section.
“If it’s hard to imagine what a destination wedding is like, picture this: you and your partner are in a warm, tropical setting, surrounded by friends and family toasting your success. The sounds of music and ocean waves peacefully blend together in the background, and a feast is prepared in your honor in the local traditions. Every single detail, from the setting of the service to the flowers, has been effortlessly arranged to suit your taste. And after the ceremony, you won’t have to leave this breathtaking locale, for you’ll have your honeymoon there as well…
Reasons to Say, “I Do”
- The Beauty of Package Deals. Tourism organizations, resorts and cruise lines offer wedding packages to keep a destination wedding stress-free and simple.
It is so convenient all you and your spouse-to-be need to do is show up. Most packages include a list of complimentary services including marriage license and the officiant. Depending on your budget, the package can even include excursions, adventure tours and entertainment for your guests.
- Avoiding the Awkward Invite… destination weddings are generally intimate affairs attended by only your closest friends and dearest family members…
- No Reception with 250 People to Pay For … A luxurious wedding weekend at a fabulous destination oftentimes costs less than a seated dinner at the local country club.
Generally, guests are expected to pay for their own fare, but can arrange for a travel agent to look for a group rate. As the host, you pick up the tab for the accommodation, meals and a few perks if you feel generous.
- No Extra Traveling Necessary. Destination weddings are perfect for couples with families and friends scattered around the country or even the world.
If most guests live away anyway, a fabulous vacation spot would make the wedding a reunion of some sort that everybody can enjoy.
Reasons to Think Twice
- The distance can make planning and coordination harder than usual. The solution is really to keep the ceremony simple and intimate, and to hire a local coordinator who specializes in wedding destination.
- Where’s Granny? A faraway location in some remote, exotic destination may impose limitation to some relatives or friends who are differently-abled or financially short.
- Save-the-date Cards are Critical. It is best to keep inform them in advance (as early as 8 months is not a bad idea) and to keep them posted when changes are being made. Since they will be going to a holiday, they similarly need to make plans in advance.
- A Honeymoon Party. You’ll have fun during your honeymoon, but it will be far from romantic. You can opt to come early to have time alone with your fiancé/fiancée, or you can arrange for your guests shorter stay, while extend for a few more days or weeks. The alternative is to arrange excursions or activities for them, while you and your spouse sneak somewhere romantic and private.
Think of these considerations. Once you are ready to commit to a destination wedding, it is time to look for that special destination, the travel agent to find the best deals for you and the wedding coordinator to transform your big day into an intimate but most memorable one.