Traveling light means you just bring very few things with you when you go on a trip.
Of course, you do need those few things that are essential for your travels. These things are usually in your carry-on luggage, a minimum load that you will bring when you do move around.
Advantages of Travel Light
Traveling light can save you much of your travel hassles. In her website Go Visit Hawaii, Sheila Beal offers Six Savvy Reasons Why You Should Travel Light , sharing the benefits of traveling with only your carry-on luggage.
- Avoid long lines at the airport to check your luggage
- No waiting for your luggage at baggage claim.
- No damaged, pilfered, or lost luggage.
- No need for assistance with your luggage at your hotel.
- Much less clutter and bulk for you to carry around.
- Greater flexibility if you need to change flights.
Things to Prepare When Traveling Light
Here are the ideas that you should consider when traveling with minimum load. wikiHow lists How To Travel Light:
- Get a small bag or backpack … it should be light and easy to carry. Backpacks have advantages for longer walking times. Sometimes, wheeled luggage is an advantage.
- Determine the climate conditions of your destination… know what weather to expect so you pack appropriate clothing.
- Plan a mix-and-match wardrobe … a minimalist approach to fashion… Also, be sure you have appropriate clothing for areas you will be visiting, such as holy sites.
- Bring enough clean underwear … to ensure that you can go for up to five days without needing to wash. Pack sufficient dry detergent into a resealable plastic bag
- Bring the proper shoes. Bring at least two pairs of shoes that you can walk in comfort. Always wear the bulkiest shoes during your flight so there’s less to pack.
- Use your packing space effectively… Roll your clothes into small rolls to reduce wrinkling. Put items inside others. Make a the best use of the space you have available
- Pack toiletries properly … Separate dry toiletries from liquids and gels and store them in separate sealable bags. Remember liquid and gel limitations on long haul flights.
- Plan what to do with special supplies and gear. If you have special supplies or items that you need, consider low volume travel versions that fit into a smaller bag, or arrange to forward these to your destination in advance.
- Pack smart and practical… Don’t carry all your valuables in this one bag. If its stolen, you don’t want to lose all of your valuables.
- Remember security and precautions …Your ID, money, credit cards should be in a security pouch… Have photocopies of your ID, visas, and credit cards with separate compartment from w2here you keep the real ones.
- Wheels or no wheels? … Do you want wheeled luggage? Wheels are great for getting around airports and single levels, but take up space and become awkward on stairways, on rough ground etc..
- Do pack some medicines … Ensure that you take any required medications with you in case they’re not available at your destination, particularly when traveling internationally.
Essential Things to Take
Here are some essential things to bring with you on your travels, very small and essential, yet you sometimes may forget them:
- Photocopies of your passport, driving license, visas and credit cards
- Pen and torch
- Resealable plastic bags such as zip-lock
- Ear plugs, cotton buds, wipes, tissues, eye mask
- Toothbrush, soap, bug spray and sunscreen
- Universal Adapter Electrical Plug
- Swiss Army Knife – only if you’re not flying
- Hat (for rain or shine), sarong and slippers
- Medicines (pain reliever, diarrhea medicine)
- Travel Document Holder
So, on your next travel try considering lightening your luggage needs for your convenience and safety.
Please take the opportunity to use the comments section to get back to us with your own travel tips!